There are vast realms of consciousness still undreamed of vast ranges of experience, like the humming of unseen harps, we know nothing of, within us.
During this period of COVID-19, so many of us still have “undreamed” and still-to-be-dreamed realms of barely verbalized thoughts that we wish to explore further. We still have a need to capture fresh perceptions and react creatively to them. We want to give them a significance, be it a landscape, a cityscape, a people-scape or just to escape the somber realities we now face. We create despite of and because of the harsh realities of an ever-lurking, novel disease.
That is the creative spirit! It is something that is transportable; we take creativity anywhere – even into the worst of times because we still have a need to allow available space inside our heads for creativity to dwell, however crowded our minds might be with all manner of COVID-19 events as well as all the other related and unrelated problems we might be facing. We are on a personal creative marathon because we have, perhaps, an even greater realization of the fragility of life and that there are “the vast realms of consciousness” we still wish to explore. We continue to seek that truth seemingly within our grasp. And though, initially, we might have attempted to stifle our creativity, we, the creators, are not able to do so; we continue to engage in our personal creative marathon. Viva la Creative Spirit!
Yes, even now I continue to engage deeply in both my writing and my painting because, as in my previous book, KOPTOE Transcending Boundaries: The Comrades Marathon, I continue to transcend boundaries, and in this case, the boundaries of the COVID-19. And so do many others, too. I explored much of this creative urge in my book KOPTOE about running marathons – the completion of which is an inextinguishable urge to reach the finishing line on time, in our case today, in Escaping-the-Coronavirus just in time. We are running as fast as we can. In my book. KOPTOE, I ask: Why Do Creators Create and Runners Run? Here are just five of a list of thirty responses to that question:
- Creators Transcend Boundaries. Runners Transcend Boundaries.
- Creators Create in order to enrich their lives and in so doing, the lives of others. Runners Run in order to enrich their lives and in so doing, their example enriches the lives of others.
- A Life Devoid of Creativity is barren for both individuals and society. A Life Devoid of Running can be a deprivation for the runner and for those who support the sport.
- Creators Create in order to know what lies buried within them and to be elated with what emerges. Runners Run in order to know how much physical and mental potential energy lies within them and to be elated with what they discover.
- Creators Create because they are moved to do so. Runners Run because they are moved to do so.
And now in the time of COVID-19, we are engaged not only in our personal creative marathon but also, equally if not more, in a Coronavirus-Ultra-Mega-Marathon because we want to protect not only ourselves but others as well. We intend to reach the finishing line. We are in this together, and we are in it for the long haul.